Other fanciful diversions included:
- Special stations where aspiring fairies built their very own fairy wings and fairy houses along with a fairy-themed scavenger hunt!
- Painting with Kate returned to teach fairy watchers and admirers how to paint fairies on canvas.
- Javoen Byrd of Awodi Drumming offered interactive drumming and storytelling experiences.
- Dancers from the Tacoma Urban Performing Arts Center (TUPAC) performed.
- Local vendors ovvered special treasures for purchase.
If you need a little sparkle in your life, don’t miss out on FairyFest this June.
All that’s required is a little imagination and a pinch of pixie dust!
*If you are a Lakewold Gardens Member you will still need to buy tickets to this special event.*
FRIDAY, SATURDAY, & SUNDAY ACTIVITIES
Opening Weekend of "Coyote Rising from the Ashes" Art Exhibit
- Vote for your favorite fairy house! Build your own fairy house ahead of time and have it displayed in the gardens during Fairyfest! You could win a year's membership to Lakewold Gardens membership for a year! See details below.
- Make your own fairy wings
- Learn to build a fairy house
- Fairy scavenger hunt: Find the 10 fairies hidden around the gardens!
- Fairy painting with Kate
SATURDAY, JUNE 25TH
regular FairyFest activities with
Yoruba Drumming and Storytelling | 12 PM - 1 PM @ the Tea House
Javoen Byrd joined us at Lakewold Gardens to film this instructional African drumming lesson with stories from the Yoruba culture. Click below to view the video, and if you have a drum lying around, grab it and follow along!
SUNDAY, JUNE 26TH
regular FairyFest activities with
TUPAC Dance Performance | 12 PM - 1 PM
Woodwind Quartet | 3 PM - 4 PM
✾ HOW TO ENTER THE FAIRY HOUSE COMPETITION FOR FAIRYFEST ✾
Grab a companion or fellow fairy guardian and build a fairy home! Entrants in the Fairy House Competition get to have their houses on display during the weekend of FairyFest at Lakewold Gardens. Festival-goers will vote for their favorite fairy house and 1st place wins a Friend's & Family membership, books & activities for the whole family, and a $50 gift card you can use for plants or anything in the Lakewold shop!
Start searching any natural landscape for supplies. Does your fairy live on the green forest floor, or do they prefer a creekside dwelling? Do they love to brighten their rooftops with colorful leaves or are mosses what makes this fairy house Home Sweet Home?
Remember, fairies love nature, so make your fairy house as natural as possible!
Fairy House Building Instructions
- Gather your materials! Look around a yard or green space for natural elements to build your house with. Consider branches, moss, pinecones, leaves, shells, and vines. Small stones, pebbles, and flowers will also work. What other materials will you add?
- It’s time to build your fairy house! You can build it freehand, or choose a structure to affix your materials to. If you would like to keep your fairy house outside, this structure should be made out of wood, or something waterproof. Ideas: consider using an old birdhouse, watering can, or flowerpot. You may need a small hammer and nails, a hot glue gun, wood glue, or simply some white glue. Consider your materials and use your best judgment. Safety first!
- Once your house is completed, capture your creation with a well-lit photo. Send your photo to email@example.com and we’ll post your entry on our website! Make sure to include a compelling name and description of for your fairy house, like “Manfred’s Mushroom Manor,” or “Diana’s Daffodil Dwelling.”
And don’t forget to share the names and ages of each builder on your team! Please, do not submit commercial or plastic kits or any sort of copyrighted imagery. We want to see what your imagination comes up with!
4. We would love to have your submission on-site during FairyFest! During Fairyfest we will be placing the houses around Lakewold for visitors to enjoy. Visitors will vote for their favorite fairy house and one lucky house will win a one-year membership to Lakewold Gardens, which will be announced at the close of FairyFest once all votes are counted. Drop off your creations at the Admissions Office from now until June 24th, anytime we are open to the public.
We can't wait to see what you create!
Happy Fairy House Building!
Lakewold Gardens | 12317 Gravelly Lake Drive Southwest, Lakewood, WA 98499
Mailing Address | Post Office Box 39780, Lakewood, WA 98496
Phone | 253-584-4106
Spring/Summer/Fall Hours | 10 am to 5 pm Wed - Sun
Winter Hours (Nov - Mar) | 10 am to 4 pm Fri - Sun
This page is made possible, in part, by a City of Lakewood Lodging Tax Grant.